This recipe is very similar to the banana blueberry pancakes except the applesauce replaces the banana. It is low in fat and sugar and has added protein from the egg. Because this month is a no added sugar month for me, I made a strawberry yogurt sauce instead of using maple syrup; however, a small amount of butter and maple syrup is a great way to eat these pancakes as long as you really watch your portion.
1 C oats
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1. Combine oats, applesauce, and egg in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add a little milk at a time until it resembles the consistency of pancake batter. I probably added about 1/8 cup.
2. Lightly butter skillet to prevent sticking.
3. Drop batter onto skillet in small sand dollar sized pancakes
4. Wait until the uncooked side begins to slightly bubble and then flip.
* The texture of this batter is slightly different from regular pancake batter so make sure to keep the pancakes small and be very gentle when flipping. This may take practice to come out with round pancakes.
1 T plain non-fat yogurt
1 T unsweetened applesauce
2 t no sugar added strawberry fruit jam (any flavor of jam will work) – Go to ‘In my kitchen’ to see what brand I use.
Combine all ingredient using a whisk or a fork.