I LOVE to make bad meals good! It’s kind of like flipping a house. All you have to do is take a meal that is typically high in calories and make small changes to make it healthier.
Tonight on the menu is just a plain ole fajita, but I have to tell you that there was a unanimous vote that it was one of the best fajitas ever. I have to agree that it is quite tasty and rather easy to prepare.
1. 2% Cheese
2. 100% whole wheat tortillas (I only go for the homemade ones!)
3. Fat Free, Organic, Plain Yogurt (Sour cream substitute – just trust me on this one. You won’t be disappointed.)
4. Homemade Guacamole*
5. Black Beans (Fresh is healthier but if you don’t tend to plan ahead like me then just go for the organic ones)
6. Grilled chicken
1. Grill your chicken for about 8-10 minutes. I marinated my chicken in extra virgin olive oil, worcestershire sauce, and seasoned pepper.
2. Prepare your guacamole. I used 4 small avocados, 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/4 finely chopped red onion, juice from 1 lemon, and garlic salt and seasoned pepper to taste.
3. Lay out your tortilla.
4. Pile on the fixins! Especially the beans and veggies.
“Sour Cream” (you don’t have to hold back this time because it’s fat free yogurt!)
Making small choices like substituting whole wheat for white tortillas, 2% for regular cheese, yogurt for sour cream, and black beans for re-fried beans can make a big difference! It’s all about the small choices. Enjoy!