Something quick? – Definitely! Looooong day!
Something easy? – Ya not so savvy in the kitchen…
Something that is healthy? – Always! Gotta keep my body fueled properly with all this wedding planning!
Something tasty? – If it doesn’t taste good they won’t eat it.
This dish is so good your guests might just mistake your kitchen for a little cafe’ in the middle of downtown Firenze. It’s a little higher on the calorie chart than most of my meals but it is definitely healthier and lower in calories than the majority of Italian dishes.
Just in case you didn’t know, gnocchi is a pasta primarily made of potatoes with a small percentage made with flour. Of course I always use the whole wheat potato gnocchi.
This pasta is almost like an Italian dumpling but still has somewhat of a pasta texture. You can find it in most grocery stores in the refrigerated pasta section or in an airtight container on the pasta aisle. It is so quick to make and there are so many ways to prepare it. I just found this recipe on the back of a Racconto Whole Wheat Potato Gnocchi box. It is a real treat and does not take that much to fill you up. I recommend only eating about 1-1.5 cups for you meal. Accompany this meal with a small salad, vegetable, or fruit.
1 package of whole wheat gnocchi (about 17oz) cooked according to the directions on the package
1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 lb fresh or frozen string beans, steamed (I didn’t have time so I used a can of organic green beans which worked just fine)
1/8 C grated Romano cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
2. Add onions and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and string beans. Saute for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the cooked gnocchi to the sauce mixture.
5. Sprinkle with grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
6. Remove from heat and serve.
* I cooked my pasta while my onions were sauteing. It only takes about 2 minutes to cook after the water is boiling.